The surreal moment when you see yourself on television




I'm really a smart girl. I am. I don't say that to brag or boast but as an offering against the idea that perhaps, I might be... just a smidge... uh... slow. Missing the obvious can make you ask those questions about yourself.



When I got the call to tape the PSA (public service announcement) for BET (Black Entertainment Television network), I was elated and surprised. The entire situation happened very fast. From the time I agreed to participate to the end of the taping, was less than a week I believe. I said yes, and doors just flew open.

It was amazing. Slightly overwhelming but amazing.


At the end of the taping, I knew that the PSA would air on the cable networks during Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I knew that. I was excited to learn the exact time of the first showing of the commercial. I watched and was overjoyed. There I was, on television... like a star!



I shared my initial thoughts on Facebook (cuz that's what I do) and then I moved forward. I saw the commercial once, I shared the news with my personal friends on facebook and twitter and with the followers of the blog's fan page and felt that I had accomplished my social media work on the issue. It was good. I did a good thing.

And then... I didn't see it again. No biggie. But, family members saw it and friends saw it... and I started receiving texts and messages and tweets of congratulations. Really nice, right? But for some reason, it is not hitting me how many people watch these networks and how likely it was that the commercial would air. Meaning more people would see it.  Many, many more people.

*duh*

So, when I was randomly watching The Real on BET the other day and thoroughly enjoying Tamar Braxton's antics... it caught me by surprise that I heard MY voice on television.

Wait.
What... ? That sounds like me.
*looks up*
HUGE SMILE...
That IS me! They're still showing this... its like a week later.
*slow realization* 
This is going to show ALL MONTH LONG. 

*face palm*





Why didn't I realize that before? I understood it and I got it but I didn't really get it.  So many more people are going to learn about me, and hopefully about this blog and more and more breast cancer awareness for more people!

Ah-may-zing!


Things in social media move fast and since I'm not one of the heavy weights out here (I don't have a million followers on Twitter or on Facebook), I'm accustomed to sharing a thought and then moving on. I don't think about it again because in my mind, only a few people are even slightly paying attention to me.

Except... what I consider a few is sort of a lot. At least a lot more than the average person. With Facebook's new algorithms, that means that something you share just might end up getting bounced around your friend's news feeds more than your average comment.

I posted on Facebook that I finally saw my commercial... and tons of people started commenting and like-ing that status.

What?

Most people sort of ignore me. Or I don't show up in their news feed and I'm okay with that. But this happened (and continues to happen).




I am blown away by the number of people who have supported this breast cancer awareness promotional video. So while I have your attention... let me remind you why this matters.

  • Breast cancer is a terrible disease. 
  • In our entire lifetimes, 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer. 
  • Black women do get breast cancer. 
  • Young women do get breast cancer. 
  • When caught early enough, breast cancer is treatable.
  • Proactive health care does help. 
  • Breast self-exams (BSEs) are important. 
  • Regular mammograms are important. 
  • Being diagnosed with breast cancer does not have to be a death sentence. But you have to act. 
  • Knowing your body, being in touch with your intuition, makes a difference. Nobody knows you better than you. 
  • Although a lot of women are diagnosed, lumps in your breast do not automatically mean that you have breast cancer. But you won't know for sure until you see your doctor and have your breasts examined by a professional.
  • Your family needs you. Your friends need you. The world needs you. So get in touch with yourself, so that you can be sure to be here for all the people who love you. 

If you watch BET or Centric at all, you will probably see me on there sometime this month. If you do see me, drop me a note and let me know. And be sure to examine your breasts and get your mammograms as well. Eat healthy and if you can't be healthy, be healthier! A step forward helps. Everything in moderation. Keep your weight in moderation. Eat healthy food - lots of fruits and vegetables, lean meats, limited alcohol. Regular exercise. Drink lots of water. Yes, all of those things that we hear that we're supposed to do for ourselves anyway - they also play a part in reducing your chance of getting breast cancer.

There is no cure but there can be hope. It starts with you.

Please SHARE this video to your friends and family. Please LIKE the page to stay abreast of what's happening in the breast cancer community. And most of all encourage your loved ones to do as you do and check their breasts. Every month.








Web Statistics