Starting your day with hot water & lemon

Start your day with hot water and lemon |  My Fabulous Boobies


For the past few months, I've been trying to increase my water intake. I purchased this great water bottle that I keep beside me all day long so that I can sip my water in peace while I write. It holds 72 ounces and is easy to carry from room to room. I guess a glass would work too but I used to lose track of how much water I was consuming by the glass. This way... I can glance at the water bottle and then feel guilty because it looks the same as it did two hours before.

*laughs*

I have to trick myself sometimes... I'm rather hard headed. And I can get absorbed in what I'm working on and lose all track of time.


This is the bottle. You should get one (just click the image) because its GREAT!


My goal was to drink two of these bottles each day. I have failed miserably at my goal. But I'm still going to try to get there.

Woops... I meant to drink more water.


But... one thing I've finally learned in life... when you struggle with achieving a goal, you don't give up the goal, you try a different path. So, I'm trying something new.

Hot water with lemon in the morning


I love a nice hot cup of coffee in the morning. With hazelnut flavoring and some creamer... man! That's pure heaven. However, I am a slow drinker (of everything except alcohol) and it will take me all morning to drink a cup of coffee. Well... it could be the jumbo mug I use too but still... all morning is too long. And while I'm drinking all that coffee, I'm not drinking any water. Plus, coffee dehydrates you... so its counter-productive to my goal of increased water intake.

I read a brief article about the health benefits to drinking hot water with lemon in the morning and it intrigued me. So, I decided to give it a try. I've been a bit inconsistent with my experiment these past two weeks, but I have to admit that starting the day with hot water and lemon - and that's it - actually is really refreshing AND it sets my palate in the right direction for the day.

Each morning that I've started with my hot water and lemon, I've been less likely to eat something sweet or bad for me. More often than not, after my drink I picked up a piece of fruit to eat... instead of a donut or muffin.

Score!

And I've been more likely to drink my water (from my trusty Arrow H2O on the GO 2.2 Liter Beverage Bottle). So by default, I have been drinking MORE water after starting my day with hot water and lemon, than I did on the days that I started with coffee, or soda (bad girl!) or even juice.

Health benefits


They say that the hot water and lemon cleanses your palate for the day and starts your digestive system. This helps your body with nutrition absorption. It is also supposed to flush your kidneys and your liver... as well as your lymphatic system. *does happy dance* Anything that helps my lymphatic system in anyway... I am all for it. ALL. FOR. IT! Since mine is sluggish thanks to that pesky mastectomy I had to have.

Any hoo... here's a list of how helpful it is:
  • Hydration
  • Helps with constipation (The American Cancer Society recommends warm lemon water to relieve constipation)
  • Weight loss 
  • Helps your immune system (vitamin C from the lemon)
  • Flushes the liver
  • Helps clear your skin
  • Fights against bad breath
  • Balances pH levels in your body
  • Fights inflammation
  • Relieves joint pain (lemon water helps remove uric acid in the body which is a source of joint pain from inflammation and arthritis)

Easy steps (I mean, how complicated is hot water and lemon?)


You don't need scalding hot water... room temperature water or warm water is good too.  Add the juice of half of a lemon (or more if you like the taste or are a larger person) to the water and then drink. If you don't have fresh lemons, bottled lemon juice (organic preferably) is just as good. Just use a tablespoon (or two) and drink 'er down.

Drink the hot lemon water before eating anything else for the best benefits. Lemon juice is acidic so it can be rough on your tooth enamel. Brush before drinking it or wait some time after and then brush. 

That's it! 


I really recommend giving this a try. You don't have to be a cancer survivor in order to see benefits from this little habit.

* If you're feeling frisky... add some sliced fresh ginger (or ginger powder) for an added kick and more health benefits.




Links for more information: 


http://www.livestrong.com/article/215380-drinking-hot-water-lemon-in-the-morning/
http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/physicalsideeffects/dealingwithsymptomsathome/caring-for-the-patient-with-cancer-at-home-constipation

Web Statistics