I want a new look - PURPLE HAIR!

This is 10 years of me. Why come I look the same?

10 years of looking exactly the same? How boring.


I've been thinking... I look the same. All the time. To be honest... I've looked the same for a very long time. It is somewhat disconcerting that I can share a picture that I took 10 years ago and people are not sure whether I took it a year ago or that day. My boyfriend asked me the other day if I was a vampire.

Talk about awkward.



I guess there are worse problems to have. And I will definitely tell you that the time I was in active treatment for breast cancer was NOT kind to my face at all (or my body... meh). I was puffy and bloated looking for 2+ years. Thanks chemo and radiation!

But here I am, years later... and finally... FINALLY... I want a new look. Yay me, right? Well... not exactly.


I have no idea how to create a new me... new look. 


I need to find a new barber or hair stylist that works with natural hair. I found some pictures and videos online of women whose hair cuts and color I admire and would like to try.

I found these pics of the haircut I want. Now... my hair currently isn't nearly this long but this is a cut that I can grow into. I keep going through these ridiculous phases of growing my hair out and then not knowing what to do with it, so I chop it back down to the scalp.

I am really cool with my super-short hair. I love the way my hair looks freshly cut in a sharp taper. But I sort of dig the curls too and this cut gives me both worlds. And I can let it be as subtle (short) or startling (grow long, maybe weave length in?) as I'd like.





Her name is Veronica and she blogs at Pretty Girl Rock Blog. Definitely go and check her out -- she's adorable and has a nice blog. I found these pics at:  http://kinkycurlycoilyme.com/inevitable-change-a-portrait-of-my-new-natural-hair/  (another great blogger to follow if you're into natural hair and stuff like that).

*Isn't the internet fabulous? I just make all types of friends daily... and they give me so much interesting stuff to think about and look at. Love it!

I'm thinking purple hair will be fun... and funky.

So... continuing on this "I need a new look" concept... I've also decided to embrace my inner bohemian chick and get some color. But I don't want just any ol' color. Oh no... that wouldn't be me. I want PURPLE HAIR!

Continuing to scoot around the internet, I wondered if kinky/curly natural girls rocked wild colors. I've seen sisters with the bright red hair. And blonde of course. But I can't see either one of those on me. I tried dying my hair red... ew. Isn't that just a sad face? On that sad red TWA (teeny weeny afro)?

I think my natural skin coloring will look a little odd with the really bright red hair. So, I'm hoping that purple works.




*There's no logic in this. Don't look for any... I've warned you.*


I found this sister on youtube... and FELL. IN. LOVE. WITH. PURPLE. CURLS. She colors her hair often... and gives product reviews and makeup tutorials. I think she's adorable... check her out: Coloured Beautiful http://colouredbeautiful.com/new-hair-color-manic-panic/

Seeing another natural sister with a short cut rocking wild purple hair... gave me unspeakable joy. I'm going to mimic her flow a bit and color my hair purple too. (I looked at all the color offerings from Manic Panic and... I am going with purple.)


http://colouredbeautiful.com/new-hair-color-manic-panic/


So, now you know the plan. I want purple curls on a funky frohawk-ish cut. Definitely different for me. But, I obviously need a change of some sort. Who looks the same for over a decade?

Well... not this girl. Not anymore.

I'll be grabbing some Manic Panic Purple Haze Semi Permanent Vegan Hair Dye and getting to work very soon. Thanks to youtube and google, I learned that these wild colors aren't permanent and they wash out after a few weeks. Manic Panic is vegan and doesn't have the harmful ingredients that other over-the-counter hair dyes have. THAT made me feel better. Cuz ya know I'm not really into putting icky stuff on my skin or my hair. I feel comfortable trying this out. If I hate it... I can just wash it daily until it washes away.

One caveat though... in order to get that really bright color, you have to bleach your hair first. Yikes. I won't be doing that the first time. I'll just put the purple over my natural off-black and see how I like it. I'm sure it won't show up except in sunlight or direct light but that's fine. I need to ease into my crazy anyway...

Recap:

  • I need a change. Some FUNK in my look. 
  • I want a new cut (not the same one that I've been wearing since my 20's).
  • I want to grow some hair but not all over. Don't want that kind of pressure. I like short shaved sides.... a lot. 
  • Found a haircut inspiration (see above).
  • Decided that color could be my friend. 
  • Opted to just go crazy and get purple hair. I mean... why not? 
  • Is not above thinking that this may be mid-life crisis thinking... don't care. :D
  • Will be getting a new hair cut and dying my hair purple. 
  • Will be using Manic Panic Purple Haze to get it going. 
  • Will share pics and a video once I'm done. 




What about you? Are you doing anything new with your look?  In a future post, I'll share my clothing inspiration looks. Whewww... totally cute.

I think I can be cute and sexy without jeopardizing my health (using bad dyes) or being boring (wearing the same hair cut for 20 years).



P.S.  If the purple turns out horrible... you may only get a few sad face pics and no video. Hey... just being honest. Nobody likes to look terrible on the internet forever.

PPS. I will try to take a much better picture than that sad subway picture with the little red fro. (I was heading to the barbershop to cut that mistake off!)


Web Statistics