Reasonable Rant: I have a question about fundraising for cancer


I am NOT sure how this will be received but since this here is Nic Nac's world... *shrug* Oh well. I have a question.

Why do we raise money for cancer research? 


Why is the donation model the business model for funding that we utilize? When did that start? Why did it start? Why do we continue it?

Why do we RAISE money via donations to search for cancer answers? Isn't that iffy?

Why isn't it a priority of every nation that is detrimentally affected by cancer -- and I believe that should be all of them -- to spend money to find out why their citizens are dying or being struck with illness that makes them less productive?

I've read plenty cautionary information that suggests the reason there isn't a cure for cancer has to do with the fact that there is a lot of money to be made from cancer.

*blink*

Let me be honest... I am NOT the girl who buys into conspiracy theories. I know people who work in the government and... well... I can't see it happening. That said, I think I understand that people want to supplement the work and financial incentives that the government provides to search for a cure. I think I understand that. I don't, however, understand why that supplemental assistance is charitable donations. I really don't.

When I first starting writing this blog in a serious way and started working towards being more active as a breast cancer advocate, many people suggested to me that I should start a non-profit for breast cancer awareness. At first the idea was overwhelming but eventually I thought that it made sense. Until I started preparing and planning... and then it didn't make sense to me. I couldn't make sense of functioning based on donations. Or even grants.

Every year, no matter what the economy does... millions of women will be diagnosed with breast cancer.  Every year. I know that every year, millions more women will need information about breast cancer and to be made aware, reminded of the importance of breast health and proactive health care. Every year.

The work and the needs don't stop. So I couldn't make sense in my mind why this was work that was dependent on the kindness of strangers. Now, there are lots of wonderful organizations out there accomplishing great things via this business model. I wanted to emulate them. But it just seems a little odd to me that something this important and critical, is left to the kindness of strangers... and how deep their pockets go.

Is there a better business model out there? Because honestly... I think this way sort of sucks. But what do you think? Am I over-thinking this? Will a cure be found because someone gave just enough one year to keep a clinical trial going?

Sigh.


Web Statistics