What Pink Makes Possible: Komen blogging summit 2014


My Fabulous Boobies| What Pink Makes Possible hashtags



This weekend is the Komen Race for the Cure in Washington, DC. I am always excited about the Race for the Cure because it is a special day for breast cancer survivors and supporters. The day starts early and it is a festive pink experience. I usually get a little nervous once I actually get to the Mall though... because once I see the sea of pink and white shirts the enormity of this disease's impact hits me.

The visual representation is overwhelming. I usually end up in an emotional storm for most of the day because I weep and cry for all of us out there. The impact of breast cancer on the world is intense. We lose so much. I also smile a lot. I see so many people walking or running in honor of loved ones and friends. I feel elevated that the memories of their lives haven't faded. To be sure, it is an incredible feeling. Difficult to describe adequately.

My Fabulous Boobies| Race for the Cure 2011 breast cancer survivors
I'm the one on the right. I just loved her wig.

This year I didn't have a team. I actually expected to and several of my friends really wanted me to. But this calendar year is pretty emotional for me because it marks my 5th year after ending my breast cancer treatment. That is a major milestone for all survivors. I wasn't sure that I would be able to handle the emotional impact of coordinating a team and participating in the walk at the same time. I wanted to do something but I kind of wanted to hide a little bit too. If that makes sense.



Participating in the SGK Blogging Summit

While I was thinking about it... I received an invitation to participate in a Blogging Summit with Komen this weekend so I accepted. Now I get to participate in the Race for the Cure activities this weekend as a part of the "Experience the mission: What Pink Makes Possible" blogging summit but more on the sidelines as an observer. I can handle that much.

The opportunity to sit and talk with researchers, clinicians and patient advocates for Komen excites me. I am looking forward to learning more about what their research agenda is going forward. I am also looking forward to interacting with other bloggers (always a thrill for me).

I will be tweeting throughout the day Friday, May 9th and Saturday, May 10th while at the Race for the Cure.

Please follow the hashtags on twitter and facebook:

#PinkPossibleSGK
#SGKBlogSummit
#KomenGlobalRace
















Web Statistics