The Ralph Lauren Foundation develops a breast cancer research facility

My Fabulous Boobies|  Ralph Lauren, cancer activist & philanthropist

 

 The Ralph Lauren Foundation is developing a breast cancer research facility.


When I read that sentence, I paused. For a long time.

I am, like many other survivors, really tired of "pink washing". So, hearing that another big brand was getting into the breast cancer market gave me a big ol' pause and a deep sigh.

Just being honest.

Now, let me be fair. I am a fan of Ralph Lauren's clothing and home goods. I like the clean lines and the very American vibe. If there was a designer that I could pretty much guarantee that I would like anything they created, Ralph Lauren would definitely be the one. I don't know a lot about the man, but I was held captive a few months ago when I saw Oprah's interview of him and his family. They seemed so normal, so inviting and warm. Even though you could tell they had more money than even they were sure they knew what to do with. (laughs) But I don't hold wealth against people.

So, it is fair to say that I am a Ralph Lauren fan. Yep. I am.



However, reading that his foundation was partnering with a UK charity, The Royal Marsden, to develop a breast cancer research facility made me wonder why. I did a little more reading and learned quite a bit. And then I watched the most amazing and moving video clip about Ralph Lauren and his foundation and why he was supporting breast cancer this way. My heart melted.

Ralph Lauren is a cancer activist. And a pretty good one too.


Did you know that Ralph Lauren founded a cancer center in Harlem? I didn't know that. Did you know that Ralph Lauren co-founded the Nina Hyde Center for Breast Cancer Research at Georgetown University in 1989? I didn't know that either. Did you know that The Ralph Lauren Foundation has supported several cancer initiatives? I didn't know that either. I learned that Mr. Lauren has had some skin in this breast cancer game for a while now. At least 20 years.

That is a wonderful thing to know. Very impressive to me.



I have a soft spot for anyone who works to help under-served communities and provide access to critical health care, especially top-notch cancer care. The barriers to access faced by the poor and under-served are real and often result in late diagnosis that too often contributes to the death of those patients. Those deaths then serve to perpetuate a fear of diagnosis that keeps a lot of people in that same under-served community from being proactive about their health. And the cycle continues to keep needy people from getting the help and treatment that they need.

If we're lucky, a benefactor like Mr. Lauren comes along and does something amazing to help ease the burdens in those communities. Which levels the playing field just a bit. That is the type of thing that I look for from brands. What are you really doing to help this community? 

My Fabulous Boobies|  Ralph Lauren Pink Pony Fund
[Pink Pony Fund]
 I'm not against any company making profits. I just don't want their profits to come at the expense of the people they claim to want to help... but really don't. Pink washing is a terrible thing. The pretense of helping people while really not helping them... is unforgivable to me.

But from my research, that is not who Ralph Lauren is and definitely not what his foundation is about.

Please take a few moments and watch this video of Ralph Lauren discussing his interest in breast cancer. Perhaps you too will be moved by his generosity and see this development of a breast cancer research center as a wonderful thing. Like I do... now.

I look forward to seeing the research that emerges from this facility in the future. I will keep my eyes on their progress. 







Web Statistics