Every holiday means something, especially Valentine's day.

I am a Valentine's day sucker. I really am. But I think that its because I loved it so much as a kid.

When I was a kid, everyone in class exchanged cards and candy. No one was left out and it just felt good to see that others thought nice things about you. As an adult, I know that the kids were forced to do that because no one wanted any kid to feel left out. But as a kid... I was just happy to know that at least one day a year, another kid thought I was nice.

It felt nice to feel loved.

As a single girl... I still have those same fuzzy, warm feelings about Valentine's day but sadly, no one to share them with. Each year, I find myself excited at the prospect of Valentine's day... and then as the day draws closer, my feelings are chipped away more and more by people who don't like the day. Or feel that they must protest Valentine's day. The reasons are endless... and to me completely stupid.

It makes absolutely no sense to me that someone would say "I show love every other day of the year, why must I show love this day?".  That's like saying... I breathe every other day of the year but on a day dedicated to breathing... well, I'm going to protest that breath because I don't want to feel forced to do it. *sigh* So dumb. So shortsighted.

If I told you how often I dated someone who was otherwise a really decent man, but who turned into the grinch on Valentine's day, you might advise me to stop dating. It can be depressing. What I hear when someone argues with me about the validity of a day dedicated to love is... "you're not worth a little extra effort for me to show you that you matter... and I don't want your effort either".

The most depressing part about dating someone who feels like Valentine's day is a punishment is that not only do they undermine my feelings of being appreciated by the romantic interest in my life... they prohibit me from showing those feelings too. So since he's a grinch, now I've got to be a sourpuss too. That totally sucks.

I'm here to tell you... I refuse to give up my joy about Valentine's day. I'll be like Charlie Brown on this one. I'll keep hoping and wishing and praying that someday, someone will give me a sweet Valentine from their heart that truly reflects that I'm worthy of their love every day... and especially on the day dedicated to love. I want someone in my life that I can do that for... I feel that I deserve to love someone every day, including Valentine's day. And he (whomever he is)... deserves my love too.

I did not survive breast cancer, become a blogger and breast cancer advocate to then turn around and not show love or receive love on one day because other people have the gall to take love for granted. Take NOTHING for granted. That person in your life that you love... don't assume that you have every day to show them that love. God forbid that your love goes away the day after Valentine's day. You've missed an opportunity that you cannot get back because you were mad that its a holiday. What is that? Ridiculousness.

Take nothing for granted. If you want to balk at the inflated prices at your favorite restaurant or the best florist in town... be a little creative. Show your love in a different way. Write a poem, make a card... create a love web site for your favorite person. Create a photo collage that shows your love what they mean to your heart. Just don't take love for granted because some retailers decided to capitalize on the moment. Outwit the retailers and show your love that you really do love them 365. Because you have to know that everyone in this world does not have the opportunity that you're passing up to show their loved one how much they mean to them.

There are a lot of people who probably wish they could have one more Valentine's day to show their love. You have this day... use it.

Web Statistics