What is a blogger? *said with an English accent*


What is a BLOGGER? *said with an English accent*


The customs official at Heathrow airport asked me that question two days ago when I arrived in London. At the time, I thought it was quite humorous and considered it a positive premonition about what this weekend would be for me. I figured that, outside of the United States, perhaps blogging just wasn't as common place and that I may find myself defending my current choice of occupation. That wasn't exactly true. People do know what blogging is and they do see value in it.

I'm here in London by invitation of Siemens Global. See: Siemens on a pink mission

Siemens did a wonderful job with a year-long breast cancer awareness campaign and I was fortunate enough to be invited to participate in the celebration dinner at the end of the campaign anv a health care social mevia avocacy meeting as well.

A few weeks ago, GE Healthcare asked me to participate in a digital advocacy program for breast cancer awareness. See: Join BCM Talks with Nicole McLean

In both situations, I was more than happy to participate. I was thrilled to be asked and truly amazed that my blog had reached people in places that I had ever experienced.

Disclosure: I did not get paid for participating in these projects. Well, I didn't receive a check. From Siemens I did receive the trip to London (which included my flight, hotel and food while there). But no other form of compensation. 

It is an honor to be asked... but is that enough?




But now, as I head home... after eating a fantastic meal last night in a room filled with wonderful people who are as passionate about breast cancer as I am... I'm feeling a little emotional. 

Every year in October, people around the world are reminded that millions of men and women have their lives interrupted by a disease that we don't have a cure for.

Every year, people want to do something to show their support, to make a difference and perhaps... to try to end this disease's rampage on our society.

And then November comes, December comes, January comes... month after month goes by and pink ribbons become more of a distant memory as other life issues inevitably pop up and ask for our attention... Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Valentine's Day... and on and on.

We spend money and time on these holidays and we push breast cancer to the back of our minds. And you know what? That is perfectly fine. Because unless it affects you directly... you do need to go on with your life. 

Questions... I have so many questions about the "spending" surrounding breast cancer


I want to ask something... exactly what do you get out of your contribution to big charities (or even local charities)? How does it make you feel to contribute this way?

As I sat at this fancy dinner last night, I was reminded of all the fancy dinners I had arranged and attended in years past as a part of my corporate job.

I'll let you in on a secret: I used to be a fancy person (laughs) who was fortunate enough to coordinate fancy dinners for people in my office and was also fortunate enough to be invited to attend many fancy diners as well. They can be marvelous fun. And, if you do them too much, they can be tiresome and tedious. However, what they always are... is EXPENSIVE. 

All this money around me... and I sit here broke, fatigued, sick and scared about my future


As I looked around the room and tried to guess just how much money this company spent on this campaign... I got very emotional. I had to ask myself, why am I here? I had moments during the weekend where I felt that I was in over my head. I had moments where I wondered whether they sure that they had reached the right girl, the right blog. I had moments where I wondered what in the world did I have to offer that was on the same level with what I had received. 

And then it hit me... there is a true inequality built into this entire breast cancer awareness public movement. That inequality is... the world is exchanging MILLIONS of dollars (perhaps billions, I don't know) because of pink ribbons. But the actual survivors are not receiving them.

Everyone makes a nickel from my miserable experience... but me (and the millions of other "me's" out there with this disease). 


I am a blogger. I do not have another job. I enjoy writing about breast cancer and my life. I do. I also have bills to pay just like everyone else. As I sat at the dinner, I realized that the other bloggers and the contest winners (most of whom were actual breast cancer survivors) were the ONLY PEOPLE IN THE ROOM who did not receive a paycheck for being at that dinner.




That is not to say that I am the least bit ungrateful for the experience. Absolutely not. I cannot overstate how blessed I am to have had this opportunity. However, several breast cancer organizations walked away with jumbo checks that were donations to their organizations -- over $90,000 was given away last night. Amazing right?

On one hand... I think that's wonderful. That money will be used to help screen lots of women for this disease. It will be used to help these organizations continue to run and function and be a good presence in the areas where they work. However, the survivors who live with the aftermath of this disease, who spent lots of hours raising money and awareness for this disease... will walk away with the memory of a good trip and some pictures. And that is all. And only a small handful of us received that.

Doesn't seem quite fair. 

The last time my insurance bill came... I couldn't use my memories or my pictures to pay it. I can't use the satisfaction of a great meal to pay for my prescriptions or to cover my light bill. Or to pay for these expensive  compression sleeves that I have to wear daily to help me with my lymphedema.



I feel like a jerk for even thinking this way. I am thankful that I am alive. I think that lymphedema, while annoying, slightly painful and generally just not attractive is a small price to pay for my life. But geez... at what point in the game do I stop feeling like the mule that is carrying the heaviest part of the load?

As a person on the outside of the pink ribbon world who wants to do a good deal and feel good about helping out... what stops you from bypassing these organizations completely and just putting your money into the hands/pockets of survivors that you know personally? (if you know any)

My wheels are spinning... 


I can tell you this... I don't think any company is going to go bankrupt by supporting breast cancer awareness. In fact, most companies (big and small) will only gain customers, make larger profits and strengthen their reputation because of their involvement. However, I can promise you... many breast cancer survivors are living hand to mouth, close to bankruptcy (or in bankruptcy) because of this disease.

Who helps us?


Do you want to help those people too? Or is it sufficient to help from a distance and then walk away? Is the difference that you can get a tax write-off for the charitable contribution? There is no wrong answer here and these are just rhetorical questions really. But as I look at my bank account and wince... I would be lying if I said that seeing other people walk away with checks for $25,000 didn't sort of sting a little bit.

So... What IS a blogger?


 As I prepare to head back to the airport on my way back to the states, I am wondering... what IS a blogger?

In my case, I think its code for "broke volunteer too passionate about a cause to stop talking about it but who hopes that eventually it pays off... in real money." 

I think its time I started thinking of alternative ways to handle my blogging business and balance my philanthropic efforts for breast cancer awareness. In other words, this broke blogger needs to get paid. ASAP!






Web Statistics