My things have been returned...



A few weeks ago I wrote about my frustration and disappointment that my purse and my shoes were "lost" in the back of a cab. You can read the story here:    http://fabulous-boobies.blogspot.com/2011/10/on-faith-blood-and-being-completely.html

Well, this is a praise report. I have had all of my things returned. Every single thing. My purse was returned in its entirety and my shoes. While I still do not know why the cab driver chose to leave me stranded on a cold, rainy night I am truly grateful that my prayers were answered and he turned in my things. My faith in people has been restored.

While I was at the Taxicab Commission's office to pick up my items, I had a brief conversation with the lady who held my items for me. She offered a theory as to why the cab driver left me. She told me that some of the drivers are afraid of patrons who need to stop at an ATM or who are going a long distance. She told me that many of the drivers believe that if a patron needs to stop, they will run and not pay. Or they may be setting them up to be robbed. Though she did not mention race in her explanation but I still feel that race played a part in this situation.

I've had my things for over a week now and it took me some time to gather my thoughts about this situation and come to a place of peace and not anger. I suppose I should not presume that just because I was well dressed and coming from a place as fancy as the Kennedy center, that someone could not look at me and see a criminal. I sort of understand that. But I find it hard to imagine that if I were a different race heading across the bridge into Northern Virginia and had made the same request to go to an ATM to get cash so that I could pay the driver... I really doubt that I would have been left on that cold corner. But since I am not a different race and I don't live in Northern Virginia, I can only accept that for whatever reason... that cab driver did not want to take a chance on me. I suppose that he didn't realize that as a single woman traveling alone at night... I too was taking a chance on him.

Look, I know that we live in a world where people will try to take advantage of you. I know that probably better than many people do. I struggled with whether to deal with this gentleman directly. While at the office, the lady gave me a copy of the form that the driver completed when he turned in my things. The form had his real name and his full home address. She gave it to me when I mentioned that I asked him to stop so that I would have enough money to pay him and when she realized that he wasn't paid she offered me his address so that (if I chose to) I could send him money to pay him.

*slow blink*  

I smiled sweetly, folded the paper and put it in my purse. My immediate thoughts were far from sending him a thank you note and some cash to cover the few blocks that he drove me before leaving me stranded and helpless late at night on a DC street corner. But after thinking about it for some time, and praying about it daily... I have decided that what I can do is to call it even.

I thank him for returning my things. He did not have to do that. But that is as far as I can go. I am a work in progress, I will admit that. Perhaps I should send him a few dollars and a note to say thank you for the effort of returning my things. I'm still not there yet. When I recall how I felt that night, and how sick and anxious I was that following week... and how I had to change my travel plans because my identification was now missing... there is still anger there. I'm just not completely there yet.

If more punishment is due him or to me, karma will have to take care of that. At this point, I simply wish him peace and blessings and some understanding that not every person is a criminal trying to take advantage of him.

Returned:  One vintage purse given to me by my mother.
Returned: All contents of said purse, including makeup, cellphone charger and ear buds.
Returned: One fabulous pair of Betsey Johnson shoes.
Restored: My faith that people do have some compassion for other people.

I am blessed. And I am thrilled that I have my things back. God remains a wonder to me.


Web Statistics