Pinktober 2011 is giving me the blues

I was looking forward to October this year. Sort of. But now that its here, and halfway over I might add... I have to admit that I am sorely underwhelmed. In fact, I'm feeling downright funky about it. Pink ribbons everywhere I look. Sigh. Parties and fundraisers and celebrations... sigh. All I can think about is sitting in chemotherapy for hours hooked up to an IV.

On Facebook, I changed my profile picture to a picture that shows me hooked up to my chemo line. I feel that Pinktober is important. I think that it is important that people become aware of this disease and how wide the impact is. However, I really need people to remember that behind the pink ribbons and charitable events... are women and men who are struggling with this disease. People who are facing devastating choices in an attempt to save their lives. For those of us who do survive and then progress on to have wonderful and fulfilling lives... I know that very often we make this look easy. Know that its not. Its simple to brush aside the thoughts of the downside of breast cancer. And to be frank, I understand needing to do that. Focusing on human tragedy isn't pretty and who wants to run around feeling badly all the time?

But I wanted to say to you today... while you're going about your life purchasing pink items for your kitchen and your bathroom... grabbing pink ribbons to pin on your shirt collar... please remember that behind each ribbon is a human being. And more than anything they need your prayers and your support.

I remain fixated and hopeful that a cure for breast cancer will be found in my lifetime. I pray for a cure every day. I hope that you too will pray with me for a cure.

Web Statistics