Aug 13, 2011

Will I ever "Say Yes to the Dress"?


On Friday evenings I have started a new ritual. I order a pizza, grab the remote and glue myself to watching hours of wedding shows. My favorite show is "Say Yes To The Dress".  I call these evenings... "spinster Friday". Just a little bit of humor about the fact that I am single and sitting home on an eligible "date night" preferring to dip into the extravagant world of bridal wear than actually going out or doing something else.

I haven't always been a girl who dreamed glorious fantasies of what my wedding day would be like, what I would wear and where it would be. I would however, be lying if I said that I never thought about it. I do... like millions of other women... and lately, I've been more open to even consider that someday it may happen.

A couple of weeks ago on the show, there was a bride who wanted a pink dress. Pink is one of my favorite colors (even before breast cancer) and I've thought about rocking a pink dress down the aisle. So, I was very interested in her story. Her mother was a breast cancer survivor and watching her mother battle the disease impacted her life greatly. She wanted to wear pink in honor of her mother and other breast cancer survivors. I thought it was a very nice gesture. And the dress she chose was really quite beautiful.

I've always felt that whatever wedding dress I chose, it most likely would not be white. Probably a soft ivory or perhaps a very pale pink. But after seeing that episode, I started thinking about all the ways that I could celebrate my survival in my wedding and honor other women who fight this disease. I can't tell you all my thoughts... but know this, if I do get married my wedding will be unique and special... and PINK!

I discovered a non-profit organization that serves women with mestastatic breast cancer who want to be married. Brides Against Breast Cancer is a fundraiser for the Making Memories Breast Cancer Foundation. A non-profit organization that collects bridal gowns from donations from designers, manufacturers and other women with dresses to give... and then sells them at an enormous discount to brides-to-be. The money that is raised at this event is used to help women and men who are dying from breast cancer fulfill a memory-making wish.

The Making Memories Breast Cancer Foundation has a noble premise... helping people who are dying of a disease they didn't ask for. They help more women in the process; brides who want a beautiful gown but who may not be able to pay full price. To me, that's a win-win situation.

I don't know if I'll ever get married (but I am keeping hope alive that it will happen). But I do know that if I find the guy who makes my heart smile, decide to get married and buy a wedding dress to help another pink ribbon sister (or brother) do something they really want to do in their last days... I will truly feel like the luckiest girl in the world.

If it moves you, check the link for Making Memories Breast Cancer Foundation. Maybe there will be a Brides Against Breast Cancer event near you soon... or perhaps you can make a donation to help. I'm sure they will be happy to hear from you in any case.

PS. Why DO wedding dresses cost so much? *just a question that popped into my head*

4 comments:

  1. Wedding dresses are very popular, often uniquely deigned items that are rarely used. In MOST cases, they are only used ONCE. Since you should only have to buy ONE of them in your life, [they] have to get EVERY $ from you that [they] can.

    The bigger question is What do you do with the dress to recoop the money that you've spent. [That is assuming you don't just KEEP IT for nostalgic purposes.] One idea is to donate the dress to the theater department of a local University or Arts Program and write off the full amount of the dress when you do your taxes. [Just a thought... ;-) ]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,


    I have a question about your blog.  Please email me!


    Thanks,


    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an idea. More than likely, my wedding dress will not cost a lot of money in the beginning. I want to have a pretty casual wedding... so spending a fortune on a dress just isn't something that I believe that I will do at this point. However, if I do, I will very likely donate it to another cancer survivor who may want to get married but cannot afford an expensive dress. We'll see what the future holds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David, I don't see your email address. But feel free to contact me at fabulous.boobies@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete