So who will find the cure for cancer?


(Shree Bose, Naomi Shah and Lauren Hodge)

I read an incredible article the other day in the New York Times about three young girls who won Google's first science fair. When I saw the title of the article, American Girls Sweep Google's First Science Fair, my thoughts were... "ooh, cool... girl power!"  But, this is NOT the same kind of science that I remember when I was a youngster in school.

These cherubic faces are hiding some serious brain power. At 17... what were you doing with your life? Well, at 17, Miss Shree Bose is working on cancer research.

Yeah. Let that sink in for a moment.

At 17... she's not old enough to vote, drink and just barely old enough to drive... but she is conducting research on cancer... in her free time.

Sheesh... do you feel like a huge slacker now, like I do? Well, at any rate... Miss Bose decided to tackle ovarian cancer by researching the ways that cancer cells react to a common chemotherapy drug used in treatment of ovarian cancer. By the way, you know that ovarian cancer and breast cancer are closely linked, right? Miss Bose wanted to find a way to counteract the tendency for ovarian cancer cells to stop responding to the drug over time. She found an answer in a cell energy protein, AMPK. I won't pretend that I completely understand what she did and what she learned... but I will tell you that I am extremely excited about this. For a lot of reasons...

Girls sweeping science awards? Nearly unheard of. Science and math are two areas where girls tend to lag far behind boys. So, this news is phenomenal. But even better... here is a teenage girl who not only has a heart and mind for scientific research, but she's using that brain power for CANCER research. Absolutely amazing.

I got goosebumps the first time I read this article. I have since read it about 5 times because its just inspiring. This young lady is (to me) an example of following your bliss and watching the way that it works to benefit the world. At 17, when most of us are just trying to fit in, get dates and not feel like a freak... she is working with university professors and scientists to find ways to make life better for cancer patients. She isn't hiding her intellect in her pocket so that boys will like her. She isn't giving up on herself because its difficult or challenging. She is looking for answers to huge questions and then taking that effort to a global stage to compete with other very smart kids for recognition of their accomplishments.

It simply does not get better than this. But this article also inspired me to continue to pursue my dreams and know that it is possible that my little contribution to the world can make a huge difference. What I want to do isn't on the level of ovarian cancer research... but, I hope and pray that it makes a difference to a few people in this world.

As I said the other day... be bold with your life. Seriously. Every moment that you're not doing what your heart is telling you... is another moment that the world won't receive what you have for it. Do it... do it... do it now.

Web Statistics