The Race for the Cure... brings up a lot of memories

The Komen Global Race for the Cure is in a couple of days. I have been excited for this event for months but now that it is just a few days away, the emotions are starting to rise up. I've been thinking about the women I've known personally who have passed on because of breast cancer and the pain of their deaths still hits me hard and makes me sad.

I'm going to state the obvious:  It just ain't fair.

The Race for the Cure is designed to bring awareness to the disease and offer an opportunity to raise money that will be used for research and for support for survivors -- helping women to get mammograms if they cannot afford them, providing education about the disease and breast cancer screening.

I have been thinking of my auntie Vinnie Lee and my former co-worker Robin... and I have wept for these ladies many times over the past week. I keep remembering my time in treatment and have even pulled out my port to look at it and just marvel at the size of the device that was once implanted in my chest. I just want a cure.

This weekend will be emotional for me and it will be exciting. It will also be fun. If you're out and about in Washington, DC this Saturday and you notice a lot of people with pink and white tshirts on... say hey. I'm sure they will be pleased to have some support for the cause. I know I will.

Web Statistics