My recent trip to the oncologist

I had my first 6-month check-up with my oncologist last week. I was nervous leading up to the appointment. I suspect that I will probably be nervous for awhile.

It was all in vain though. Everyone was a nice as I remembered. The new cancer center still looks lovely and peaceful -- a different vibe from the way it looked prior to the renovation. The patients still had various expressions of sadness, anger, disappointment -- something -- on their faces. I didn't see any patients I recognized but I didn't expect to.

Dr. S seemed a little cranky and out of sorts (which was surprising) but everything checked out fine. I'm guessing that my bloodwork checked out fine too because I haven't received any calls asking me to come back. So... for now I can breathe easy and not think too much about recurrence.

One funny moment -- Dr. S gave me a breast exam. And as he was examining my reconstructed breast I laughed and asked him whether or not it was likely that a lump would show up in that breast since its not actually breast tissue anymore. (I thought it was a funny question... Dr. S did not) He told me that while my new breast wasn't actually breast tissue, the tissue around it had to be checked because there wasn't any way that they could remove all of the breast tissue. (that was a downer moment)

All in all... things went well. It was a good visit. Seems like I'm still cancer free. And still on tamoxifen.

Life is good.

Web Statistics