Remembering Robin - Race for the Cure

A year ago, I was recuperating from seven and a half weeks of radiation therapy. I was a one-boobie wonder – scared, scabbed, lopsided and swollen. I had the peach fuzz of a newborn on my head and my skin was a rainbow of varying shades of brown, black and purple. In other words, I was finishing up my treatment for breast cancer.

 

During the time I was fighting to get through all those treatments and keep a somewhat sunny disposition (I sort of failed at that part actually) a former colleague of mine was losing her fight with the same monster. Robin and I worked together over 10 years ago. We didn’t work directly together however, I always found her to be helpful and kind whenever I had a problem. She was one of those folks that you always just had a good feeling about. You know?

 

Learning that she was dying as I was finishing my treatment was startling and scary. And it made me more angry at this disease that seemed to just randomly choose people to take down. Robin was a good sister. She was a good friend to just about everyone at our company and I’m sure that she left an indelible mark on her personal friends and family as well. I often reflect that I didn’t have the energy to go and see her before she was gone. And for weeks after her death, I worried and chastised myself because I didn’t force myself to go and see her. I should have. I really should have. But since I can’t turn the clock back and make that right, I will push forward and do what I can do.

 

I want you to look at her face and realize that she represents millions of women (including myself) who struggle with this disease. Some of us make it – like myself – others of us are called home. If you are participating in the Race for the Cure, all I can say is THANK YOU. If you are not participating, but have made (or plan to make) a donation, THANK YOU. If you’re still on the fence… I can only ask you to consider doing anything that you can to help ensure that not too many more Robins have to be lost to us before a cure is found.

 

http://globalrace.info-komen.org/goto/nic_mclean

 

http://globalrace.info-komen.org/goto/PinkIsTheNewSexy


Web Statistics